Successfully completing a rehabilitation program can spell major success for living the rest of your life sober. It may be a scary thought to think of how your life will be after treatment has completed when you begin looking at the lifelong process of staying sober. There is no doubt it takes a bit of effort and time to be solidified in your daily life. The good news is that after treatment when you have a strong support structure in place and a long-term plan, you will have the necessary support structure suitable to help look after your wellbeing and keep you on track.
After you have completed a thorough substance detoxification rehabilitation program alternative like those that are offered at Discovery Place, you get to return to normalcy and daily life. You will be engrossed back into everyday routines, such as work, family, time for friends, and enjoying some of your favorite hobbies. Some of these activities may be triggers for you and cause temptation. The first six months after one leaves treatment is the critical time frame when most relapse occurs, according to addiction research.
When you go through treatment, you will learn new behaviors and coping techniques to combat these temptations. If you leave treatment with an understanding of your triggers as well as a support plan, it will be much easier to face these challenges and overcome them. Each time you make a positive decision to avoid previous negative behaviors, you will build on your strength and become stronger.
Continuing Care Options
To help you after you have left treatment, there are some options you should consider which will keep you strong and provide you with the tools to continue to have success throughout your life’s journey.
- Individual therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy, can help one understand themselves much better and grasp any underlying issues that persist, as well as help with addiction through a holistic approach.
- 12-step programs are a long proven beneficial way to continue care after treatment and these meetings can help everyone from alcoholics to nicotine abusers, to those that struggle with crack cocaine, for instance. These meetings focus on looking to a higher power for support.
- Alternative support groups can be based on any model, including 12-Step. Self-Management and Recovery Training (SMART) is a leading alternative to 12-Step and is based on the idea of teaching individuals to take the driver’s seat and control their addiction.
Adjustment to A New Social Life
Sometimes, leaving toxic relationships in the past and developing new positive and healthy relationships is crucial to encouraging positive outcomes. There are many substance-free groups and hobbies that one can enjoy, including:
- Checking out a movie
- Taking a class
- Playing various sports
- Learning how to play an instrument
- Reading and getting into reading groups
Finding a healthy activity, you enjoy and meeting people who also enjoy the same activities and hobbies can provide valuable assistance with stability, happiness, and engagement in wholesome participation of sober life practices.
Long-Term Recovery Programs
Discovery Place in Tennessee offers in-patient programs combined with long-term care options through our medical detox and addiction treatment center alternative center. Call our Tennessee detox treatment center alternative today at 1-800-725-0922. We are here to answer your questions and provide information 24 hours a day, seven days a week.