Heroin causes people to make irrational and poor choices. This disregard for reality and responsibility not only puts them at risk but often others around them. Children subjected to caregivers that use heroin are innocent victims of many negative outcomes. Listed below are some facts about the drug heroin:
- Heroin comes from morphine and is an opioid. Morphine occurs naturally in opium poppy plants.
- Heroin can come in many forms. It can be black and sticky or it can be white or brown powder.
- Heroin is taken a variety of ways by users. It can be injected, sniffed, smoked, or snorted.
- Speedballing is when heroin is combined with crack cocaine.
- When heroin enters our system it does so quickly. It attaches to opioid receptors on many cells. It is particularly present om pain and pleasure receptors.
- Heroin users say they feel euphoric. Dry mouth, heavy feeling arms and legs, and poor mental abilities also result.
- Those that abuse this drug long term has many poor health outcomes. Some include collapsed veins, internal infections, abscesses, and lung problems.
- Studies show that those who misuse prescription pain medication are at higher risk of developing heroin addiction.
- Naloxone can help a heroin overdose if given immediately. Some situations require more than one dose.
Do You Need Help To Overcome Your Addiction To Heroin?
Heroin is highly addictive and without proper treatment, withdrawals are difficult and dangerous. Without safe medical detox heroin addicts face severe withdrawal symptoms alone:
- Intense muscle and bone pain
- Problems sleeping
- Overwhelming heroin cravings
Some treatments can help heroin addicts. Both medical and behavioral therapies can be successfully utilized for individual treatment plans.
The medical detox and addiction alternative treatment center at Discovery Place provides a haven for drug addicts and those who are dependent on alcohol to recover from their addictions. Discovery Place’s Tennessee addiction alternative treatment center is located in the beautiful and serene countryside of Tennessee. Our team of caring professionals works with each individual to ensure they see their best outcome and heal from their substance abuse issues.
Call our Tennessee detox alternative treatment center anytime day or night at 1-800-725-0922 to discuss your situation. We are here to help you get well again and live your life to the fullest.